Sew Like a PRO!
Learn Sewing Techniques
or Improve Your Sewing Skills
Create clothes with a perfect finish
with easy sewing tutorials.
Start Your Fashion Journey Now
Why You Need this Class on Sewing Techniques
- Learning to sew as a beginner is great!
- Earning an income from your sewing is even better!
- Learning how to sew like a professional with perfect finishing and having a stream of customers who keep coming back is the best!
Simply put, whether you are sewing for pleasure or for business, with perfect finishing, you will get lots of customers - and repeat customers!
And lots of referrals as well.
As we used to say when I was in paid employment at KPMG:
'the result for good work is more work!'
Differentiate Yourself with Sewing Skills that have the Perfect Finish!
'In Fashion School, Mevrou's voice would ring in my ears - 'Unpick Temi'
She could not stand bad sewing and Mevrou impressed on us that clothes must always look perfect on the inside as they look on the outside.
I learnt that sewing was not just about making clothes, it was about sewing with a conscience and this became a part of me. Ensuring that every piece I made looked perfect.
From when I was learning how to use a sewing machine till today, I cannot bear to give my customer an outfit with a wonky seam. I guess that was why my clothing factory became popular. My clothes always had a perfect finish. My customers deserved the best and that was what I gave them.
Founder, Martwayne & Garment Production House
Who is the Course for?
- Anyone who wants to learn how to sew with a solid foundation;
- Anyone who needs to sew with a perfect finish;
- Anyone who wants to improve their self confidence, increase their customer base and improve their income from their fashion business;
- Anyone who is interested in learning tailoring;
- Anyone who wants to learn various edge finishes in sewing without a serger (also called overlocker);
- Anyone who wants to learn how to operate a serger for a clean finish.
If you fall into any of these categories, I have put together various sewing videos to teach you different sewing techniques and sewing tips ranging from french seams to how to sew a zipper.
These easy to understand online sewing tutorials teach various finishing techniques that will ensure that your clothes look factory made and store bought. If our 9 year olds in our Sewing Classes for Kids Online Course can learn how to sew from scratch, then it should be a piece of cake for you.
What Will You Learn?
Sewing Tips for Beginners
- Introduction to Sewing for Beginners Classes.
- Know Your Sewing Tools' Names, including sewing tools and equipment pictures that you need to create the perfect factory finish.
- Sewing Machine for Beginners, including how to set up a sewing machine, how to thread a sewing machine and how to thread an industrial sewing machine.
- How to sew with a sewing machine and sew perfect straight lines, curves, seams etc including how to sew a dart.
Types of Seam Finishes
- Different kinds of sewing machine feet.
- Basic sewing techniques and how to finish raw edges of fabric.
- How to finish a seam without a serger.
- Finishing seams with a serger.
- Clean finish seams and raw edges, including french seam, flat-fell seam, hong kong seam, how to make continuous bias tape, how to sew bias seams together etc.
How to Sew a Zipper
- How to sew different types of zippers including how to sew an invisible zip with invisible zipper foot;
- Lapped Zip, Centered Application and Grooved Zipper and the types of machine feet.
How to Make a Facing
- Including how to create, apply, fuse and how to sew a facing. you will need to sew different zippers.
How to Sew a Waistband
- How to sew a waistband with interfacing and how to sew a waistband on a skirt. Shows 2 different types of waistbands.
In total, over 60 sewing tutorials on sewing techniques!
How Does the Course Run?
The Online Sewing Classes run on our Online E-learning Platform. You learn at your own time and at your pace to enable you practise.
Our Online Platform is well structured and classes are split into Lessons and Topics.
Topics are in bits and split into short videos to prevent you from getting overwhelmed.
You get unlimited access to the videos to watch wherever you are for 3 months and you can watch them over and over again.
Meet Your Instructor
South-African trained and well versed in various areas of the fashion industry, their relationship with the business community and the business of fashion. Training & eLearning expert with undergraduate degrees in Economics and Fashion Design, years of tax accounting and advisory experience with one of the Big-Four Accounting Firms, KPMG Professional Services and practical work experience in garment manufacturing.
'I have trained lots of fashion designers who are excelling in their fashion business. I have also run a garment factory and what keeps my clients coming back is the finishing. Everyone knows I am a sticker for perfect finishing.
Finishing is key to the success of your clothes and your business as a whole. When I go into a store to buy clothes, I immediately turn it inside out to check out the finishing. That, to me, determines if that outfit is worth the high price tag or not.
I can assure you, if your finishing is great, people will pay a premium for good work and keep coming back!
Founder, Martwayne & Garment Production House
Learn Wherever You Are
Access your Sewing Classes from any device - laptop, tablet or mobile phone.
What Will I Need for the
Online Sewing Tutorials?
- Sewing Machine (any basic domestic electric sewing machine works with at least 5 stitches. 12 stitches will be even better). Any brand works.
- Tailor's Chalk
- Basic Needlework Kit which must include hand needles
- Roll of Thread / Threads
- Box of Dressmaker Pins
- Calico or any cotton fabric
- Interfacing (½ a yard is sufficient)
- A pair of Fabric Scissors or Dressmaker's Shears
- Measuring Tape
- Zips (including Invisible Zips)
- Sewing Snips or Small Handy Scissors to cut your threads (not necessary since you can always use your fabric scissors).
- Seam Ripper
- Steam Iron
- Ironing Table or any clean surface
- Large Cutting Table or any large surface (a clean floor works if you have space constraints)
You can add to this list as you go along. A quick google search will show what these items look like.